CNB (Construction Navale Bordeaux) was founded out of necessity back in 1987, when a German professional footballer, Dieter Gust needed a yard to finish the build of his own 80-footer. He employed an experienced yacht skipper as his right-hand man, and set up shop in a listed Eiffel-designed furloughed shipyard on the right bank of the Garonne river, opposite the old city of Bordeaux. The 5-masted France II came out of this very same yard back in 1911.
CNB specialised in aluminium structures, but very quickly got involved in steel and then composite yachts, and most recently carbon yachts too.
Alongside the building of some of the most famous of superyachts such as Mari Cha II, Grand Bleu, Only Now and Chrisco, CNB also got involved in building passenger ferries and larger fishing vessels, maintaining some of the Beneteau heritage. It was therefore no surprise at all therefore that in 1992, CNB was acquired by the Beneteau Group. Today, the site is the biggest in the Beneteau Group, and now includes the construction of the biggest Lagoons as well. CNB yachts have now moved production to Montfalcone, where the Beneteau Group own the very modern Monte Carlo Yachts facility
Using superyacht know-how and Beneteau purchasing power and production techniques, the synergies were immense, and enabled CNB to become a key player in the 70-120 foot yacht market
The launch of the semi-custom yachts division started in 2008, with the hugely successful Bordeaux 60, of which 44 were built over an eight year period. The 76 followed, and in 2017, the 66. And for the next boat in the range? Well, that’s still on the drawing board